Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lenten Practice - Day 10

 

Lenten Practice:  Photo A Day

March 15 - Day 10 - Fresh Flowers

I love fresh flowers in my home, especially at this time of year.  It reminds me that there are bulbs underneath the earth right now waiting for the snow to melt and the earth to warm up so that they can do their spring thing and bloom.  Tulips are especially spring like for me.  One year in early May, I began an internship in Ottawa - just before the Tulip Festival - over my first few days and weeks the city became alive new growth.  The tulips that the city has planted all around were wonderful, and plentiful and gorgeous.  It was such a time of learning and adjusting for me, and the tulips that were blooming in that time became symbols for me about the ministry I was engaged in.  I was matched with a 2/3 time community chaplaincy and until that time I had not been close to people that lived on the margins.  Like the tulips that sprung up out of the cold hard earth of winter these people too thrived in less than ideal circumstances.  

Psalm 55:16-17  But I call upon God, and the Lord will save me.   Evening and morning and at noon
   I utter my complaint and moan, and he will hear my voice.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment