Sunday, October 19, 2014

a sermon for October 19



The Gift of Hindsight
October 19, 2014
When I was a little girl I had a very strange bedtime prayer ritual – I am not sure how it evolved or even how I came to understand God in such a way but for a few months, before I went to sleep, I would perform this strange little ceremony.
Now remember that I am only eight or nine at the time, so judge the story accordingly– my mom would come and kiss me good night, tuck me in, and tell me she loved me, turn off the light and I would be alone in my room.  I would wait until I could hear that she was in the living room and then I would get up and stand next to the wall and I would pray – different words each night depending on what went on in my day but at the end of the prayer, I would kiss the wall representing a kiss for all the people I loved, I would kiss the wall for God, and for my parents, and sister I would kiss the wall for my grandparents, I would kiss the wall for the dogs … and when I had kissed the wall for as many people or pets I could think of that evening I would then take my Koala bear stuffed animal, and kiss it and place it under the bed and make yet one more plea with God that over the night the bear could be turned into a real baby.  Then I would get back into bed and go to sleep.  During that time in my life, this strange ritual made me feel closer to God.  It was a turbulent time in my life; we had just moved yet again, I was already going to my third school, my Grandma Davies who had lived with our family all of my life had just died.  I was probably lonely and afraid and confused and looking for a deeper relationship with God to take away my fears and confusion although I was totally unable to express that as an nine year old child, when I kissed the wall I was, I think I actually believing that I was kissing God goodnight, like I kissed my mom and dad. 
Longing for intimacy with God is a very common thing, ever since there have been human beings on this earth, we have been searching for finding ways to interact with our gods, through rituals and ceremonies, prayers songs and sacrifices.  There is something inherently human to want to know our God deeply and intimately. 
Moses is seeking God presence in the Exodus passage this morning.  He is longing for a intimate relationship with his Creator.  As the leader of the Hebrew people, Moses knew that their survival depended on God’s presence, and the identity of the people was found in God, God was their unifying force, their sense of purpose, their identity – for is they were not the people of God what were they?  A group of escaped slaves lost in a desert – it was God who gave them co-hesion, it was God who gave them purpose, it was God who gave the a sense of who they were. So Moses request to see and feel and experience the presence of God on that mountain was also spoken on behalf of the people
And, as is no surprise,  God responds in a selfless way. God extends grace, mercy, and assures the promise of a holy presence and a commitment to the Hebrew community.
So, God takes Moses, and he puts him in a little crack in a rock atop a mountain. God was going to pass by Moses, and God wanted to let Moses catch a glimpse of Him.
So God passed by – but Moses wasn’t allowed to look yet. He wasn’t able to look until God had already passed. And then… Moses was able to see the place… Where God had just been.
Our English texts usually say that Moses could “see his back,” but that’s an inaccurate translation. Moses caught no sight of the “body” of God.
He saw the place where God just was.
(this is) how I often experience God. In the busyness of life, I’m not anywhere near aware or awake enough to see God’s Presence. I’m answering emails, making visits, writing sermons, picking up kids from school, washing the dishes, spending time with a friend, sitting on a park bench watching the leaves fall down…
But, when I look back over my day, with intention, I can see God’s Presence so much easier. When I am in the thick of things, I am focused on what is going on around me, that the presence of God goes unnoticed, but when I take the time at the end of the day to reflect on my day, often God is found.  What is it about hindsight that makes everything so much clearer?  But this is one of the ways that we get to see God, and feel God’s presence – through hindsight
Have you heard of the prayer practice called an examin?  An Examin is a prayer, usually prayed at the end of a day, where you intentionally recall your day, and all of the events that happened, your part in it as well as the emotions you experienced, and how you handled things it often includes your failures, but also always it includes God’s little gifts of grace through the day. It is amazing to me that every day when examined through the lens of an examen – through hindsight – God’s presence is revealed.
Here’s the thing, though: if I don’t take the time to look, I almost always miss it. If I want to know where God is in my life I must find that little crack in a rock, and sit in it. Open my eyes, and see the place in my life where God just was.”[1]
So how do we hear the voice of God? Our Ignition brothers give us four answers to that question, First we perceive the Divine in Creation, in the rock and the trees and skies and the seas, in the majesty of a mountain vista and the intricacies of a 1000 legged centipede.  Second, we hear God’s voice in the Scriptures, in this book we call “the word of God.” We hear it in the stories of people just like us who struggle to live well in the world, and in the moments when God intervened in their lives.  Third, we hear God in our faith communities – where a group of people gather to pray together, work together for the kindom, share their faith stories, support each other and intentionally listen to the voice of God, all in an accountable and committed environment, this is the living tradition of our believing community. Finally, we hear God by attending to our experience, and interpreting it in the light of all those other ways of hearing the divine voice–through creation, the Bible, and the living tradition of the community.  This is hindsight – when we live through something, take a look back and then say – ohhhhh, there is where we saw the presence of God, and didn’t our hearts burn…., when we spent time with a friend, or reading a story goodnight, or hearing the sound of the rain on the roof, or in that long line of traffic when someone stopped to let you in so that you could get to where you were going …you get the idea, those moments that in and of themselves that are ordinary, but something happened and when they are re-examined and the ordinary becomes extraordinary and the mundane becomes sacred, and God got into our lives when we were least expecting it.
The people the Jesus story today are doing the same thing, they are looking for God, trying to find that place where God gets in, the problem seems to be that their egos and ways of seeing God are not open enough to recognize that right in front of them they have a new way, a different understanding, that does not threaten who they are and what they believe but instead enhances it.  For the Pharisees and the Herodians, their notions of who God is and how God comes, is restricted and they are unable or unwilling to see in Jesus and his teachings anything of God.
So, Jesus is in the temple courtyard, teaching:  A quick refresher on the time line.  The day before, Jesus entered Jerusalem riding on a donkey with psalms waving and shouts of Hosanna.  He went to the temple and drove out the money changers, saying “my house shall be called a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of robbers!”  Then he left Jerusalem to spend the night in Bethany.  The next morning, Jesus returns to Jerusalem to the temple, where the scribes and Pharisees are waiting for an explanation on just who Jesus thinks he is and where he gets off upsetting the temple commerce.
The debate ensues.
Jesus asks them first to tell him if John the Baptizer was acting on God’s authority.  They decline to answer and Jesus tells them the parable of two sons, one who told his father he would work and didn’t and the other who said no to the father, but then went out to work.  Then Jesus told the parable of the wicked tenants who would not give the produce to the landowner and killed his son.  Finally, Jesus tells the parable of the wedding banquet, where the ones who were invited refused to attend and the banquet was opened up to everyone.
Our gospel readings for the last 3 weeks and today are all part of this one conversation – it’s no wonder the powers that be want to trap Jesus.  He is making them feel very uncomfortable – and they are looking very silly and inept in front of the people.
So they come to him with a ‘gotcha’ question.  This is a no-win for Jesus.  If he says, yes it’s lawful to pay taxes, he can be labeled a Roman collaborator and the crowds will hate him.  If he says, no, you shouldn’t pay taxes to Caesar, then he can be accused of treason and hauled off to Pilate.  Either way, their problem is solved.
David Lose helps us understand a little better from his blog, In the Meantime and he writes:  “A little background will help. We should be clear, it’s not simply taxes in general that are up for debate here, but a particular tax. Jews in first century Palestine, you see, paid numerous taxes: Temple taxes, land taxes, and customs taxes, just to name three. The tax in question was a particular – and particularly onerous – one. It was the Imperial tax paid as tribute to Rome to support the Roman occupation of Israel. That’s right: first-century Jews were required to pay their oppressors a denarius a year to support their own oppression.
Not that everyone saw it this way, however. Those put in power by the Romans, represented in this passage by the Herodians, advocated supporting Roman “governance” of Israel. Nationalists opposed to Rome, perhaps comprising much of the crowd, found the tax offensive as it was a constant reminder of their humiliation. And the religiously devout, represented by the disciples of the Pharisees, had to pay the tax with a coin engraved with a picture of Caesar Tiberius and a proclamation of his divinity, forcing them to break the first two Commandments,” [2]
  You shall have no other gods before Me.
  You shall not make idols.
It is a no win question, so Jesus refuses to play their game.  He makes a simple request – let’s see the money.  And with that request, he changes everything.
Give to Caesar what is Caesar and give to God what is Gods.”
Jesus just changed the rules.  This is not about taxes or politics.  No, this is not even about religion, it is about relationship with God.  It’s about who God is and who you name as God, and what that means for you.  It is about what you value, and what is important in your life.  It is about what occupies your heart and mind.  It is about an up close and personal examination of where your loyalties lie.
The emperor’s image is on the coin and the implication is that the coin belongs to the emperor.  So the question becomes what then bears the image of God?  And the answer - We do.
Therein lies the connection to our first reading – this divine presence witnessed by Moses from the crevice – this God that was willing to pass by and be fully present to Moses – this God that was willing to forgive the Hebrew people for the golden calf debacle and uphold the covenant, and continue the journey with the people - this God that was willing to dwell among us and share our human story, even the parts of the human story that are most painful as we witnessed in the Good Friday story where God entered our pain and loss and death so deeply and took all of it into God’s own self so that we might know who God really is.
“Jesus raises important questions here, but notice that he doesn’t give pat answers. There are elements of our lives that are, indeed, part of the world order and should be “rendered to Caesar.” But those are elements – our deepest person and self is God’s, and if we remember that, all of life takes on greater focus and meaning. And when I say that – that our deepest self is God’s – I actually don’t mean that in the sense of putting more obligations on us: behave yourself, God is watching! Rather, I mean that as a reminder that no matter what we may do or say, no matter where we may go, no matter what may happen to us, yet we are first, foremost, and forever God’s own beloved child. And that identity will, in turn, shape our behavior, urging and aiding us to be the persons we have been called to be.[3]  We are first and foremost God’s beloved children – and the water that we poured onto Clara’s forehead a few minutes ago reminds us of that, we all belong to God, our God is a God of intimate relationship revealing Godself in so many ways – being present to us in our times of joy and times of sorrow, walking with us in our challenges and waiting patiently for us when we wander away – our God, Moses God, Jesus God, Clara’s God, your God longs to love you beloved child….Amen.


[1] Rick Morley:  A Garden Path:  Crevice - http://www.rickmorley.com/archives/3186
[2] David Lose:  In the Meantime
[3] David Lose:  Money, Politics and Religion:  www.davidlose.net

No comments:

Post a Comment